ANNUAL HIGHLIGHTS: 2015-2016
- Improved meat, poultry, fish, dairy and produce production and inspection policies.
- Improved food and foodborne illness data sharing capabilities.
- Increased funding to CDC’s PulseNET database and CDC’s other food safety programs.
- Continued support of Country Of Origin Labeling (COOL).
- Policies to reduce the use of antibiotics in humans and animals.
- A revision of USDA’s Safe Handling Instructions label on meat and poultry packages.
- Continued funding for FSMA implementation.
- Applauded USDA’s finalization of the mechanically tenderized beef label and added solutions label.
Participated in multiple national food safety forums:
- Alliance for a Stronger FDA
- FDA Science Board
- Make Our Food Safe coalition (MOFS)
- National Advisory Committee for Meat and Poultry Inspection
- National Conference on Interstate Milk Shipments, Board of Directors
- Partnership for Food Safety Education, Board of Directors
- Safe Food Coalition (SFC)
- US Stakeholder Forum on Antimicrobial Resistance (S-FAR)
- Presentations: IAFP Annual Conferences (2), Association of Food and Drug Officials Conference, Consumer Food Safety Education Conference and presentations to other organizations.
Public comments to/about multiple topics:
- FDA: Regulations to monitor animal feed and drug sales; Untreated soil applications on produce fields.
- Comments to the President Advisory Council on Combating Antibiotic Resistant Bacteria, detailing the investments that the U.S. needs to make to reduce antibiotic use and antibiotic resistance.
- USDA: Pathogen control and standards; Toxin and chemical standards; Labeling issues, including a revision of the Safe Food Handling Instructions label for meat, poultry and fish products; USDA’s strategic planning and retrospective review.
- Public comments to/about multiple topics:
- Publications: Tracking Microbes: Defining The Horizon For Molecular Surveillance Of Foodborne Disease. CFI White Paper authored by Dr. Barbara Kowalcyk; funded by The Pew Charitable Trusts.
- Submitted, through the SFC, a citizen’s petition to USDA asking for a revision of the Safe Food Handling Instructions label that is mandated for all meat and poultry products, and to develop a label for catfish products inspected by USDA.
All documents are available upon request.
THE CENTER FOR FOODBORNE ILLNESS RESEARCH & PREVENTION | email@example.com
© 2017 All rights reserved | Website managed by bluecrab marketing